What could be more comforting than this Maple Onion Soup au Gratin recipe in cold weather? Add a very traditional Quebec touch by adding pure maple syrup!
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 45 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 tbs. of butter
- 2 tbs. of sunflower oil
- 250 g (1/2 lb.) of cooked turkey pieces
- 2 (500g) large white onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbs. of maple syrup
- 1 litre of Exceldor Turkey Broth* or commercial brand chicken broth
- 100 ml of porto or cinzano
- 4 slices of toast toasted bread
- 100 g of grated Swiss cheese or sliced goat’s cheese
- 9 leaves fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- To taste: salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add sliced onions. Stir and let soften uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and maple syrup. During this time, bring the broth to a boil in another saucepan. Pour the hot broth over the first mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the porto.
- Pour into bowls. Top each bowl with a slice of toast and cheese. Brown under broiler. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
*To obtain the complete recipe of Exceldor Turkey Broth, go to generousturkey.com