Make the most of your BBQ with this maple-marinated salmon recipe! Prepare it with our pure Quebec maple syrup for optimal taste.
Preparation: 20 min
Marinating/Waiting: 24 h
Cooking: 25 min
Total: 24 h 45 min
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- ½ cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) soy sauce
- 1¾ lb. (800 g) Atlantic salmon fillet, cut into portion pieces
- 2 leeks, halved lengthways and rinsed thoroughly
- Extra virgin olive oil, as required
- 4 medium cooked beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. (20 mL) white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar or pure maple wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground peppercorns to taste
- In a glass dish, combine pepper, water, maple syrup and soy sauce. Immerse salmon in marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning fish over often.
- Tie halved leeks with string so they don’t come apart while cooking. Cook leeks in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 – 4 minutes. Drain, cool under cold running water and pat dry. Brush with olive oil and season to taste.
- In a bowl, toss beets with oil, vinegar and dill, and season to taste.
- Indirect heat grilling
- Preheat half the barbecue to high until the grill is very hot. Remove salmon from marinade, and sear both sides. Move salmon to over the closed burner and cook pieces 8 minutes or so, depending on thickness and desired doneness.
- Grill leeks both sides, about 5 – 6 minutes in all, and cut into pieces.
- Serve salmon with beet salad and add grilled leeks over top.
Suggestion: For medium-done salmon, grill 2 – 3 minutes per side over direct medium-high heat.