This maple candied grapefruit peel recipe is a perfect garnish idea for your desserts. Prepare them with our pure maple syrup!
Ingredients (for about 48 peels)
- 3 medium pink grapefruit
- Water, as needed
- 750 ml (3 cups) pure maple syrup
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 115 g (4 oz.) dark 70% chocolate
- Pure maple sugar nuggets
1. Divide each grapefruit into 8 sections.
2. Gently remove the peels. Keep the fruit flesh for later use.
3. Use a thin blade knife, remove and discard the white membrane, then cut the peels in two.
4. In a large casserole, poach the peels in water for 30 minutes, drain them and put back in the casserole.
5. Add maple syrup and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and gently simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, until the peels become translucent.
6. Remove from heat and let cool.
7. Drain the peels in a strainer.
8. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and coat half of the peels in it.
9. Transfer them onto waxed paper and sprinkle with maple sugar.
Source: Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec