Prepare your traditional homemade baked beans with this maple baked beans and smoked ham recipe! It will please all your guests during your next brunch.
Preparation: 10 min
Marinating/waiting: 10 hours
Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) navy beans
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 oz (250 g) diced salted lard
- 4 Tbsp. (60 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. (1 ml) dried savory
- 1 Tbsp. (15mL) white vinegar
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) black pepper
- 3 ml (½ tsp) mustard powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) prepared mustard
- Sliced maple-smoked ham desired amount)
- Maple syrup to taste
- Soak the beans in water and refrigerate for 10 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Arrange sliced onion and one-third of the salted lard in the bottom of a casserole or bean pot.
- In a bowl, combine the beans with the maple syrup, vinegar, mustard and spices.
- Pour the bean mixture over the onions and add the remaining salted lard. Add water until the beans are just covered.
- Bake in the oven for 1½ hours at 135ºC/275ºF. Check the water level (and add water if necessary). Lower the oven temperature to 120ºC/250ºF and bake for 3 hours.
- In a ridged pan, cook the maple-smoked ham. Cut the cooked ham into four pieces.
- Place the ham on a plate, add the baked beans and garnish as desired.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.